Eyes to See/Ears to Hear

In order to combat my annoyance over the unwillingness of media outlets to tell the truth and avoid letting their bias rule, as well as to have an outlet for my very (at times) wordy self, this blog has been created by yours truly. This will be an accounting of events in the world, my country, and my little piece of the world as best as I can see it, hear it, and relay it.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Upcoming Elections

Dear Editor,
With the elections coming up on November 2, there are some things that come to my mind regarding the rhetoric that is found in abundance on news stations large and small. The issue in my mind mostly is that though I am disappointed in the continued wasteful spending in Congress by those I helped vote into office to bring under some control, the thought of Congress being controlled by a party that fuels itself on hatred and disrespect for the current Administration is a scary one. Quite frankly it seems to me that they call for their party supporters to vote for them based on the very fact of this attitude. The Democratic members of Congress have continually cried foul at any hint of the Republicans pushing an ideology and have thwarted the attempts of any and all legislation that would put forth those ideals. They have also have denied the President’s right to make judicial appointments; refusing to show up for meetings as well as continuing to allow these nominees to languish in committee until the time to vote has passed. The reasons for this unethical behavior revolve around the very thing the Democrats cry foul over: an ideology; the only difference is it is the one they support!

Then there is the stem cell issue. I personally don’t support scientists experimenting with embryos, regardless of what stage they are at of human development. They remain just that: human, and therefore it should be morally wrong to do such ‘research’. Not only that, but with the research that has been done thus far on the stem cell lines that were available for such research, there has been no progress to speak of. Unless you call being unable to stop the cells from producing tumors research. Yet we hear nothing of the amazing strides that adult stem cell research has made for treating a myriad of illnesses, including the Parkinson’s that Michael J. Fox suffers from. But if you put that aside, I would still be against it because it calls for using taxpayer dollars. I wonder if my fellow citizens are listening to what it all means. If it is research the scientific community wants, let them spend their own money! The pharmaceutical industry is a multi-million dollar one that can certainly afford to do research of any kind. Let them get behind research funding. I also ask myself why these Hollywood stars are calling for my tax dollars to support immoral research and neither they nor the media are paying any attention to what adult stem cell research has already accomplished! In any case, if all the stars who support embryonic stem cell research each donated one of their many millions to research of any kind, we wouldn’t need to be asking taxpayers to fund such things.