Eyes to See/Ears to Hear

In order to combat my annoyance over the unwillingness of media outlets to tell the truth and avoid letting their bias rule, as well as to have an outlet for my very (at times) wordy self, this blog has been created by yours truly. This will be an accounting of events in the world, my country, and my little piece of the world as best as I can see it, hear it, and relay it.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, January 24, 2005

A Question that Needs Answering

How many people reading this know what it is that is inscribed at the base of the Statue of Liberty? Indeed, how many of us know any young person today who is learning it in school? Or learning about other points of our national heritage?

How about that the French people, the regular people, donated the money it cost for the statue to be built? While I am at odds with their leadership today which should have stood with America and the rest of the coalition to oust Saddam Hussein, all that is political, the people's admiration and love for we the people here in the USA was not political in nature, not at all.

I homeschool and one of my primary reasons for doing so was in my realizing the complete and utter secularzation of the public school system. There is an agenda put forth by the NEA, who, working together with homosexual activists groups, have fixed their eyes and their influence on the impressionable young, realizing that to get the minds and hearts of a generation, that is the place to go. The agendas are bold and boldly put forth by the leadership of many, many in the National Education Association.

Of course this by no means implies that I don't like teachers, etc., but I am treated as if that is the case. I have a couple close friends who are excellent teachers, as well as I know other teachers who I have met over the years and have greatly admired. Yet, they tend to be quite touchy on the subject at hand.

For instance, more money than ever before is being spent on public school education, but we still have entire school districts completely failing to teach youth to read and write. They are handing them out condoms and directing the girls to Planned Parenthood as well as trying to accomodate their sexual preferences! One of my friends actually uses the word homophobic to describe another close friend of our's aversion to the homosexual lifestyle!

When faced with the truth my friends would be the first to tell me I should be willing to admit this or that, but their unwillingness to recognize what is going on in so many schools, or worse, to not disturb the status quo is as much denial as my unwillingness to face truth in my own life and about my own person.

We live in one of the greatest nations on the face of this earth yet we are failing to impart this truth as well as the many reasons behind how we got to be so great. One of those failures has to do with our own lack of involvment in the legislative process as well as our own failure to study and understand the history and uniqueness of our own great nation. We can begin to change this by first, looking in that mirror and admitting the truth about our own apathy to our country's heritage and stop supporting the right of others to criticize us when we don't even bother getting involved in what US is supposed to be about!!

Here is the road we should take first on our journey into the United States of America. Let us remember the words of the sonnet inscribed in bronze at the base of the statue, placed there in 1903, a sonnet written by an American poet, Emma Lazarus:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land:
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost, to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
-Emma Lazarus