Eyes to See/Ears to Hear

In order to combat my annoyance over the unwillingness of media outlets to tell the truth and avoid letting their bias rule, as well as to have an outlet for my very (at times) wordy self, this blog has been created by yours truly. This will be an accounting of events in the world, my country, and my little piece of the world as best as I can see it, hear it, and relay it.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Wimpy On Comments

Many years ago, a very kind elderly woman told me that I needed to develop an alligator-like skin so that I wouldn't take things that were said to me personally. I agreed with her then and I agree with her now. She was insistent that it should apply even to those things said to me personally that were intentionally said to insult or mock, perhaps more so at those times.

I don't think I have developed such a skin yet, though I have worked on it over the years. The best I have been able to do, however, is to aviod returning the insult or mockery and to move on from the attack. I have not been able to thicken my skin enough to not let it give me emotional pain or sensitize me to such things.

The main reason why, I believe, that I don't return the insult or mockery, is that I am very aware that in doing so I behave in the same manner as the person who is saying demeaning things. I am simply not like that nor do I have a desire to be like that. I have found that, once the initial insult is tossed my way, the only time I get the urge to respond in like manner is immediately after they utter whatever, and it quickly passes, therefore I just don't act on the impulse.

When giving it thought I also realize that I really don't hate anyone or anything with such intensity that I cannot control my tongue when insulted. I also understand that oftentimes the things said are said out of ignorance or a misunderstanding of a situation. This helps in not developing unresolved anger/hate issues that spill over into my own behavior towards others.

All that said, it still upsets me when someone spews forth ignorant hate speech in my direction simply because they disagree with what I say. With all the things going on in my life and with my family members, there is just no way that I want to deal with that on top of everything else, yet I love the blog and journal and writing. 8-)

Is it me or does anyone else notice that those who demand tolerance in the loudest voices are the ones who hate the opposing opinion and the person speaking the opposing opinion the most? Watch closely next time you encounter a situation such as that, but don't count on the media giving it to you straight. Instead, observe for yourself.